Message from the Principal
Dear Parents and Guardians,
On behalf of the staff at Grover Washington Jr. Middle School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2015-16 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. Grover’s mission is to provide “enriching and meaningful learning experiences in a safe and supportive environment”. The 5 R’s are Five school-wide expectations that we encourage our students to strive for:
Ready - Responsible – Respectful – Reflective- Represent
Our Motto is to
Work Hard, Play Hard, Represent
READY- On time to all classes, Proper Uniform No hoods. Plain Blue or Grover Hoodies Only.
RESPONSIBLE- Book bags are left in homeroom. Only one student out at a time. Must have hall pass. No eating in classroom.
RESPECTFUL-Respect Everyone, Watch your language.
REFLECTIVE- Think before you speak/act. I am teaching. You are actively listening.
REPRESENT- Yourself, Your family and Your school.
We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
3) Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go on to college
Please consider joining our school volunteer program as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and its operations. We seek volunteers to help us with the following activities:
1) Teacher-led instructional support, usually in the classroom
2) Reading with children who need extra help
3) School-wide events
4) Student recognition events
5) Outreach and recruitment of parent and community volunteers
The wonderful Grover staff and I feel privileged to be a part of this school family. We thank you for your support and look forward to meeting you.