Message from the PrincipalTHE SCHOOL DISTRICT OF PHILADELPHIA
OFFICE OF THE SUPERINTENDENT
440 NORTH BROAD STREET,
PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA 19130
WILLIAM R. HITE, JR., Ed.D. SUPERINTENDENT
June 2, 2016
As we approach the end of the school year, our schools begin to experience what’s known as “the Spring Slide” and the “June Slump.” This is a troubling pattern in which student attendance rates start to drop in May and worsen in June. We realize some absences are unavoidable, for example, due to health problems. But, we also know that when students miss too much school regardless of the reason it can cause them to fall behind academically. To ensure that your child receives the best education possible, I am asking you to help us ensure the regular, on-time attendance of your child at school every day until the last day of school. Please discuss with your children why attendance is so important for success in school, and about continuing to put forth their best efforts in all of their classes. Instruction will continue and attendance for students will be recorded on a daily basis by the District and calculated through the last day of school, June 22, 2016.
Here are a few practical tips to help support regular attendance at the end of the school year:
• Ensure your child goes to school every day unless they are truly sick.
• Avoid scheduling vacations or appointments when school is in session.
• Make sure your child keeps a regular bedtime.
• Talk to teachers and counselors for advice if your child starts to become restless about going to school.
We want your child to be successful in school! If you have any questions or need more information please contact your child’s school.
Thank you in advance for your assistance and support.
William R. Hite, Jr., Ed.D.
Letter From the Principal- Ms. Jovan A. Moore
Dear Parents and Guardians,
On behalf of the staff at Grover Washington Jr. Middle School, I am happy to welcome you to the 2015-16 school year! We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school. We know a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. Grover’s mission is to provide “enriching and meaningful learning experiences in a safe and supportive environment”. The 5 R’s are Five school-wide expectations that we encourage our students to strive for:
Ready - Responsible – Respectful – Reflective- Represent
Our Motto is to
Work Hard, Play Hard, Represent
READY- On time to all classes, Proper Uniform No hoods. Plain Blue or Grover Hoodies Only.
RESPONSIBLE- Book bags are left in homeroom. Only one student out at a time. Must have hall pass. No eating in classroom.
RESPECTFUL-Respect Everyone, Watch your language.
REFLECTIVE- Think before you speak/act. I am teaching. You are actively listening.
REPRESENT- Yourself, Your family and Your school.
We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
1) Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning experience
2) Completes all homework assignments given by teachers
3) Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
4) Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
5) Informs you if he/she needs additional support in any area or subject
6) Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go on to college
Please consider joining our school volunteer program as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and its operations. We seek volunteers to help us with the following activities:
1) Teacher-led instructional support, usually in the classroom
2) Reading with children who need extra help
3) School-wide events
4) Student recognition events
5) Outreach and recruitment of parent and community volunteers
The wonderful Grover staff and I feel privileged to be a part of this school family. We thank you for your support and look forward to meeting you.