South Philadelphia High School
Message from the Principal
South Philadelphia High School Family:
South Philadelphia High School seeks to build excellence by providing even greater services to its community of devoted students and parents. South Philadelphia High School honors the right of each student to have the opportunity to pursue and achieve greatness by:
South Philadelphia High School embraces its responsibility to challenge students to become analytical and critical thinkers, who will not only inherit our democratic heritage; but, who will also lead the world to peace and prosperity. The South Philadelphia High School faculty, cognizant of its mission, leads and inspires students to develop their potential by modeling the value and significance of learning.
- offering a rigorous curriculum;
- insuring equitable access to resources;
- establishing a climate where diversity is celebrated; and,
- ensuring that students and faculty engage in relationships that foster learning, harmony and mutual trust.
As a community of learners, all of us at South Philadelphia High School value those qualities which distinguish great schools:
On each and every day, South Philadelphia High School is a school in which we work, individually and collectively, to know, to support and to enrich our students, for we know reaching all students depends upon reaching each one. For each student is challenged with rigorous and relevant instruction as well as challenged to build and maintain positive relationships, In the years ahead, South Philadelphia High School will emerge as a “personalized high school” of greatness: the first step in “personalization” is making small the large high school through its formation and formalization of smaller learning communities through academies. We thank you for supporting our sincerest endeavor to pursue and achieve excellence and celebrate greatness!
- Standards and expectations for achievement are clearly defined.
- Students set goals and assess their own work.
- Democratic processes and multiple paths to learning ensure students, faculty and community members have input into decision making.
- Students work toward becoming self-directed.
- Students and teachers analytically reflect upon their goals.
- Teachers know their students’ strengths, weaknesses, and interests and personalize learning in response to that knowledge.
- Student activities (social, athletic and academic) promote student health and well-being.
- Smaller learning communities enable students to connect with those who share the same interests.
- Students will pursue internships in order to enhance their classroom learning by contributing to the community.
- Individual differences are celebrated; paths to achievement take many routes.
- Achievement is based not upon passing minimum requirements on standardized tests, but upon each individual reaching his potential by exceeding the requirements in all academic endeavors.
- Theme based academies, project learning, and classrooms without walls will distinguish the emerging personalized high school.
Yours in service,
Otis Hackney III, Principal
South Philadelphia High School Calendar