The John Hancock Demonstration Elementary School K-5
3700 Morrell Avenue
The John Hancock Demonstration Elementary School
June 22, 2016
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to the summer of 2016. It seems that just yesterday it was the first day of school in September. We have had a very successful school year and our children have had many achievements. During the past year at the Hancock and the LaBrum Schools, we have done our best to provide effective and rigorous instructional programs and opportunities for every one of our students. In addition to high-level academics, we were able to offer extracurricular activities at both schools including robotics, tutoring, skating parties, Drama Club, Student Council, Father-Daughter Dance, Mother Son Bowling, Reading Olympics, Ice Cream Social, Dancing Classrooms, Safety Patrol and the sports teams at LaBrum. Our Drama Club’s Lion King play was absolutely wonderful!
The Hancock and LaBrum Schools’ Main Offices will reopen for student registration on Thursday, August 18, 2016. Registration will continue each weekday from August 18, 2016, to August 31, 2016, from 9:00 AM to 2:30 PM.
The first day of school for all grade one to grade eight students is Wednesday, September 7, 2016. All students will receive their homeroom or section assignment on the first day of school. LaBrum students are to report to the LaBrum front school doors by 8:00 a.m. in uniform. Hancock students are to report to the Hancock schoolyard by 8:28 a.m., in uniform, in lines on their previous/June 2016 room number/positions. The school uniform policy is posted under the Policy’s section of the Hancock or LaBrum School website. The first day of school is a full day of school, so please bring lunch. Students will be dismissed from LaBrum at 2:40 p.m. and Hancock at 3:09 p.m.
Please feel free to call the LaBrum School at 215-281-2607 or Hancock at 215-281-2604 the last two weeks in August if you have any questions.
Thank you for all your support this school year. It truly is an honor and a privilege to work with your children. We are truly fortunate to work with wonderful students and such a great group of families.
Have a great summer and we will see you in September.
Our grade 5 students competed in the Dancing Classroom Finals on Saturday, June 4, 2016, at the Levitt Auditorium, University of the Arts- 401 South Broad Street. They were spectacular and earned bronze medals. Please join us in acknowledging their accomplishment.
How to Register your child for School.
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Thank you for contacting the John Hancock Elementary School and General J. Harry LaBrum Middle School. Student registration starts on August 19, 2016, at both schools. John Hancock Elementary School and General J. Harry LaBrum Middle Schools are neighborhood schools. In most cases in order to attend one of these schools, you need to live within the school boundaries. You can easily check the boundary area associated with your address/residence by utilizing the School District of Philadelphia School Finder Application. The link to School Finder Application is https://webapps.philasd.org/school_finder
Below is a list of the required documentation you will need to present in order to register your child.
1. Proof of child’s age (One of the following is required) Acceptable documentation includes (the following are examples and not a conclusive list): Child’s original birth certificate Notarized copy of the child’s birth certificate Child’s valid passport, Original baptismal certificate indicating the child’s date of birth Copy of the record of baptism – notarized or duly certified and showing the date of birth Notarized statement from the parents or another relative indicating the date of birth Prior school records indicating the date of birth
2. Immunization Record (One of the following is required) Acceptable documentation includes: The child’s immunization record, A written statement from the former school district or from a medical office that the required immunizations have been administered, or that a required series is in progress, Verbal assurances from the former school district or a medical office that the required immunizations have been completed, with records to follow.
3. Proof of Address (Only two (2) of the following are required)
· Acceptable documentation includes: Schools should be flexible in verifying residency, and should consider what information is reasonable in light of the family’s situation.
2. Valid DOT identification card
3. Mortgage settlement sheet
4. Current credit card bill
5. Current utility bill (gas, electric, cable, telephone)
6. Recent vehicle registration
7. Recent property tax bill
8. Voter Registration Card showing current address
9. Valid driver’s license or change of address card with your current address
10. Recent bank statement with current address
11. Letter from Social Security Office with current address
12. Letter from Public Assistance Office with current address
13. IRS Statement or other wage and tax statements e.g., W2, 1040, 1099
14. Recent Employer Pay Stub showing current address
15. Fostercare/childcare and DHS letters are acceptable for registration when a student is in the care of a foster/child care agency.
16. Shelter placement or residency letters are acceptable for homeless students
17. Original lease with name(s) of parents/legal guardians and children.
18. Signed property sales agreement, followed by original copy of settlement papers within 45 calendar days of settlement
We suggest that you visit the School District of Philadelphia Office of Student Enrollment and Placement website, which provides more detailed information about the student registration process. The link to the website is http://webgui.phila.k12.pa.us/offices/s/student-placement
Have a great summer and we hope to see you soon.
William J. Griffin
Please help us make Hancock a safe school.
For the Safety of our children, please leave your pets at home when dropping off or picking up your children. Some students are afraid of dogs, so therefore it is best to leave your dog at home. Dogs/pets are not permitted in the schoolyard and are not permitted near the gates of the schoolyard. Dogs/pets may not be stationed on the sidewalk directly adjacent to the school.
Points of Pride
Hancock/ LaBrum School Calendar
Classroom ObservationsWe are a demonstration school and welcome area teachers to visit our school. See contact us for form.
See our calendars under News & Events
To see the 2014-2015 School District Calendar click here