School Safety Brochure - Safe Expectations for Parents
Additional Safety Resources
Safety Tips for Children
- You can help keep your school a safe place. If you see someone committing a crime, during or after school, call the Philadelphia Police Department (911), or the Bully Hotline, 215-400-SAFE (215-400-7233).
- To and from school:
- Walk with a parent/guardian or friends
- Stay away from strangers and especially strangers in vehicles
- Cross streets at a light or crosswalk
- Choose a safe and designated route to school – safe corridor
- When riding the bus, stay seated and act mature
- Be aware of everything and everyone near you
- While at school:
- Stay until dismissal - you are safer at school
- Know the rules and abide by them
- Stay away from persons outside the school yard fence
Safety Tips for Parents
- Have your child fingerprinted
- Keep a recent photograph of your child
- Show your child how to dial 911 and from where
- Provide your child's school with current emergency information
- Check your child's route to and from school and show your child where fire and police stations are located
- Make sure your child knows his or her full name, address, and phone number
- Make sure your child knows to stay away from strangers
- and to yell for help if approached
- Test your children occasionally to see if they remember the Safety Tip information you have taught them
- Please help us keep your schools safe. We need your input.
- As parents and members of the community you can make a difference in your neighborhood school. If you see any of the below listed activities occurring at or around your neighborhood schools, please call the safety hotline 215-400-SAFE (215-400-7233).
- Truants and Gang activity
- Any other criminal activity
Holiday Safety Tips
to keep in mind during the holiday season -- and always.