Newcomer Learning Academy
What is the Newcomer Learning Academy?
- Provides students new to the United States and to the English Language an accelerated course of study (six months to one year) to enhance their success when they transition into an ESOL program at their school
- Provides academic and social opportunities to improve English language skills in a nurturing environment
The Goals of the Newcomer Learning Academy are:
- To develop literacy and academic skills
- To develop social and communication skills
- To decrease the failure and dropout rates
- To increase promotion and graduation rates
- To reduce the number of referrals for placement in Special Education
- To develop a positive self-image
- To integrate students into the social climate of schools
Who is a Newcomer Student?
- 14-20 years of age
- Recent immigrant to the United States; less than one year in a country
- Indicates a language other than English on the Home Language Survey (HLS)
- Scores < 2 on the W-APT (English language proficiency test)
- Scores below grade level on primary language assessment
- Has evidence of Limited Formal Schooling (LFS) or interrupted formal schooling
Where will the Newcomer Learning Academy site be located?
- BENJAMIN FRANKLIN HS
550 N. Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130