Programs & Services
Programs & Services
OEMS programs include:
- Asbestos Management - OEMS is responsible for managing the School District's Asbestos Program. The Asbestos Program is based upon the proactive industrial hygiene philosophy of anticipating, recognizing, assessing and controlling asbestos-related concerns throughout all District-owned and operated facilities. An in-house asbestos abatement team, as well as a battery of asbestos consulting firms, make-up the major components of this Program.
- Mold Assessment and Remediation Services - OEMS is responsible for responding to mold and chronic moisture-related issues within School District facilities. An in-house abatement team performs mold remediation services as needed following the assessment of same by highly experienced and respected professional environmental consultants.
- AHERA Program - OEMS is responsible for managing all aspects of the federally mandated Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA) Program for the District. The AHERA Program consists of regularly scheduled six-month surveillance inspections and 3-year comprehensive inspections of all District facilities. OEMS retains all documentation of AHERA training records, AHERA Management Plans for every school, and annual notifications.
- Water Quality (lead) Management - OEMS is responsible for complying with a consent order and agreement with the City of Philadelphia, Department of Public Health, regarding water testing drinking water outlets for lead content within all School District facilities.
- Lead Paint Management - Lead paint is remediated by properly qualified/trained personnel and these projects are managed by OEMS or designated professional consulting firms.
Indoor Environmental Quality Program Management - The School District of Philadelphia has collaboratively designed and is beginning to move forward with implementing a comprehensive IEQ Management Program. The IEQ Program will ultimately improve and monitor the quality of indoor environments in School District of Philadelphia facilities.
Hazardous Material Management - OEMS is responsible for managing the handling, storage, transport and disposal of hazardous materials, including universal wastes, within all School District facilities. This goal is accomplished through the services of professional consultants who assist in the inventorying and proper disposal of such chemicals. Right-to-Know inspections are a major part of this program.
- Geotechnical-Environmental Services (soil) - OEMS provides geotechnical environmental services including soil, groundwater, and Underground Storage Tank assessment and remediation services through the support of professional consulting firms.