1st Floor, Suite 102
Philadelphia, PA 19130
Notice of Charter School Revocation Hearings for World Communications Charter School
Notice is hereby given that the School Reform Commission of The School District of Philadelphia shall hold public hearings pursuant to the Charter School Law on the revocation of the charter of World Communications Charter School. The hearings will be held on October 24, 2016, October 28, 2016, November 8, 2016, and November 29, 2016 at the Education Center, 440 N. Broad Street unless delayed or cancelled due to inclement weather or other reason. The hearings shall commence at 9:30 a.m. Public comment will be received by the School Reform Commission before any action final action on this matter in compliance with law.
The public hearings on the proposed revocation of the Charter issued to World Communications Charter School ("WCCS") have been cancelled. More information will be forthcoming after WCCS has taken steps to inform its staff, parents/guardians and students of the developments.
The process to close a charter school in Philadelphia can be lengthy with numerous steps required under the Charter School Law:
1) The SRC (or local board of school directors) approves an initial notice of nonrenewal/revocation at a public meeting.
2) The SRC Chair appoints a hearing officer to conduct a public hearing on the recommendation to not renew or to revoke the charter at which the District presents evidence in support of the nonrenewal/revocation and the charter school is given an opportunity to offer testimony and exhibits on why the charter should be renewed or should not be revoked.
3) A 30-day public comment period occurs after the conclusion of the hearing.
4) The hearing officer recommends to the SRC whether the charter should be renewed or not renewed/revoked. The SRC then considers the hearing officer's recommendation.
5) If the SRC votes to nonrenew/revoke the charter, the charter school has the opportunity to appeal to the State Charter Appeal Board (“CAB”). The charter school may remain open as a right until a decision by CAB.
6) The charter school or the District may appeal an adverse CAB decision to the Commonwealth Court, and then may petition the Supreme Court to hear an adverse Commonwealth Court decision. The charter school is required to close after the adverse CAB decision unless granted a stay by the Commonwealth Court or the Supreme Court, as applicable.
Current Charters Pending Nonrenewal/Revocation Include:
Delaware Valley Charter High School
Pending CSO Recommendation for Revocation
Location: 512-520 S. Broad Street
Grades Served: 6-12
CSO Revocation Memo - Updated June 30, 2016
©School District of Philadelphia|
440 N. Broad Street 1st Floor, Suite 102 - Philadelphia, PA 19130
Phone: 215-400-4090 Fax: 215-400-4091